Friday, July 2, 2010

Why worry about the details?

As with most things in our lives, we find ourselves caught up in the details of our struggles. Particularly, our relationships with others. As women we find ourselves consumed with pleasing our husbands, boyfriends, children, careers and other cares of this world, that we fail to please the very one who have the most influence in our lives, or should have the most influence, I'd say.

This reminds me of the Word of God, when Jesus and His disciple were in Jersualem and they came to a certain village where two sisters lived, named Martha and Mary. Martha welcomed the Lord into her home, and began to prepare a big dinner for him. However Mary, recognizing who He was sat at His feet and listened as He taught.

Now, recognize the contrasts between Mary and Martha. Martha was so concerned with the details of preparing dinner, that she didn't recognize the Bread of Life was present in her home. The very nourishment she sought to present to Him for the body, He had available for her soul. Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 6:25(New Living Translation):

25"That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life- whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?"

Mary, on the other hand knew who Jesus was and position herself at His feet to eat. She was not concern with nourishment that would pass through her digestive system in a matter of hours. No, she was concerned with eating from the Bread of Life. She knew if she ate of Him she would no longer hunger.

Let's look at the passage of scripture in Luke 10:38-42 (New Living Translation):

38As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.

39Her sister, Mary, sat the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught.

40But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do the work? Tell her to come and help me."

41But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!

42There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her."


It's not my intent to take away Martha's servitude to the Lord, by making sure He and the disciples were fed. It must have been her extreme pleasure to prepare a meal for the Savior. Just as each of us, should take pleasure in serving Him. However, in the midst of serving it is easy to get side-track by the things of this world, whereby we no longer recognize God for who He is.

Although, it was Martha's purpose to meet the needs of the Savior by preparing food for His nourishment. She missed out on the one thing that Mary did not let pass her by, fellowship and intimacy with Him.

How many times have you worried about the details of this life, and forgot the matters are not in the details, but in knowing Him? How many times have you allowed your career to take precedence over your relationship with Him? How many times have you let your children, finances, husband, boyfriend or whatever, prevent you from being taught by Him through His living Word?

While, being involved in an abusive relationship. I worried a lot. A lot of my so called worries were thoughts of how to please the abuser to prevent, further verbal insults. I worried about the details in how to handle the matter. I knew God and believed I loved Him then, too. But, it wasn't until I took time too eat of Him and be fed by Him, did I realize that the details of my own efforts were unable to set me free.

You see, now that I know Him and know what He says about me. I no longer have to worry about the details. I now understand what He means when He told Martha:

42There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.

The Power of God in my life, has moved me from the D list to the A list. I'm secure in him and I understand, it is Satan who wishes us to focus on the details of this life and not God. Once you realize this, you will begin to enjoy a freedom that surpasses all understanding.

You will see yourself as an eagle perched on a mountain top with all it's majesty and honor. An eagle illustrates strength, deliverance and redemption. In Christ we are strengthen, delivered and redeemed.

Therefore, He sees you rising above the details with strong wings and a renewed hope. I dare you to sit at His feet and be taught of Him. Because you will become as Mary, whereby nobody can take it away from you.

Why worry about the details?

No comments:

Post a Comment